5/21/07

Review: Blue Water Grill

I'm a few days late with this one, but for the record, the Blue Water Grill on Union Square in NYC is definitely a place to go with an editor who's paying your way. My share of the damage: two martinis, a wild mushroom maki (six pieces), two single pieces of unremarkable nigiri, and a small asparagus-leek soup. My patron of the arts had a grilled tuna steak, very rare, a few oysters, and two martinis as well. Would anyone like to venture a guess as to the price, not including tip?

A new new thing: twice in New York I was asked if I wanted my martini up or on the rocks. On the rocks? Doesn't that disqualify the beverage from being a martini?

5 comments:

Anthony said...

four martinis: $48
tuna steak: $26
oysters: $3 apiece
mush. maki: $12
nigiri: $15
soup: $10

my guess: $120

Elbo said...

The food seems right, but I'm guessing the booze cost a little more. $12 Martinis seem a little unlikely anywhere that serves oysters in NYC. I'm tacking on about $4 apiece and going with $135 before tax and tip.

I think the Martini on the rocks is actually more of an antiquated thing than a new new one. People used to make them in pitchers with rocks.

I still occasionally get asked that question around SF, but I've never seen anyone request the rocks version. It also might be done more in the South, where your frosty drink might get warm a lot faster.

E.L.M. said...

Re. martini on the rocks: they mean served in a glass over ice, not just shaken in a shaker with ice, then poured neat...right?

Re. price: you're both damn close. $132. W/tax, not tip.

Anthony said...

tax is about $10. elbo went over!

Elbo said...

I did go over. But I still want to know how much the Martinis cost. (Up, or in old-fashioned glasses like these.)