6/4/07

Wine: Robert Hall Recall

As they say in the NFL, upon further review...I'm going to retract my support for Robert Hall's Rhone De Robles. Another bottle of the '04, when compared to other bottles at our dinner last night Chez BrO, was weak. Its main feature was a steady sweetness that quickly grew boring. I'm not sure how I found the original bottle so worthy. I need help.

A much better buy was the Laurier 2004 Cab that Paul n James discovered at the Tower Mollystone's. Five bucks and drinkable, though no world-beater.

We also learned our lesson about decanting. The wine Tony brought -- Cimicky? Anthony, can you refresh our memories? -- started out twangy and grassy but soon mellowed into a wonderful bottle. When it doubt, air it out.

3 comments:

Anthony said...

it was a Charles Cimicky blend of cab, merlot and carignan that i picked up at K&L a year ago or more.

we did witness how the wine opened up over an hour's time; decanting speeds up the process, especially at restaurant tables.

sometimes after i open a bottle, i pop the cork back in and tip it over a couple of times before letting it sit again.

E.L.M. said...

Year?

Anthony said...

no idea.