7/17/07

¡Fuñeta! Qué Tacos!

Y’all may recall that I’ve been visiting the taco truck that parks next to the old Standard brick building on Pacific near Sansome. I’d be happy to supply a new review, but time and other constraints are impinging -- like the fact that they raised their taco prices 33% just yesterday.

Yes, I was one of those price-sensitive affluents (a mind-blowing marketing term that explains why there are BMWs in Wal-Mart parking lots) that loaded up on three kinds of tacos for $4.50, with some pickled jalapeños and fresh radishes and cut lime to boot. The quality is still pretty excellent; my grilled chicken was toothsome without being way too dry, and the spice is right. But now these puppies are $2 each. (Burrito prices stayed the same. How izzat?)

Is it rising corn and produce prices? Gas, cooking fuel or tolls? Doth I complain too much? For now, I’m lumping it.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You? Affluent? Who knew?

Anthony said...

i enjoy Champagne at its exorbitant prices, but also can't resist a case of PBR for $10. ergo.

Anthony said...

further, i am interested in the truck's viability as a going concern. if tiering the taco pricing does this, fine.

E.L.M. said...

Oops. That first comment was me. I was signed in to a different account that we use at work to share docs. Tacos at San Jose under the freeway in San Rafael are still $1.75, I think. Even at $2 per, what a bargain -- $4 for lunch. Or $6 if you're planning to burn a lot of calories the next day.

Anthony said...

baz? as in luhrmann?

E.L.M. said...

Yeah, he's the art director at the Deal.

Anthony said...

would he scoff at paying 50 cents more for tacos?