8/8/07

El Bala$o

If it’s a Tuesday at about 8 and you’re in the Upper Haight, where the heck do you get a decent bite?

Three of us checked out a couple of places, including Citrus Club, which a little crowded, and we weren’t patient. (I’ve been there once, and can’t say I’m keen on another visit. Funky Thai, big whoop.) We settled on El Balazo, which was nearly empty, and I think I know why.

The cheapest burritos, for example, can be had for more than $7 with the tax. They’ve got pretty basic plates (two tacos with rice, beans and tortillas) for about $10. I even remember some dinners going for more. Or maybe I just remember being ticked.

I ended up getting two tacos (shredded beef, chicken en mole) for $6 -- no beans, because those cost extra here. The tacos were good, and the signature side of cabbage salad is always nice. But $6?

The rents on Haight must skyrocket every year; one look at the food board at Balazo and you know they’ve been jacking up prices with some regularity.

I can get two friggin’ huge, knockout, fresh-grilled tacos on the Embarcadero for Christ’s sake for less than $5, stuffed with meats and beans and very hot pico de gallo, which is usually called salsa. The salsa bar is also better at Pancho Villa at Pier 1, with roasted jalapeños, not just the pickled ones.

I’ve no real beef with ripping off tourists or kids who don’t know any better. If the only reasonably priced foods a business district can offer are pizza slices, though, let me be among those who say gracias, pero no gracias.

4 comments:

Anthony said...

I'm still simmering. here's the menu, evidence of the above-market pricing.

here's a review, for what it's worth, that echoes the sentiment.

E.L.M. said...

But what about the cabbage salad? It's one of the few places that features this somewhat rare treat. I haven't been for a couple years, I'd say, but the cabbage is enough to draw me back.

However, I acknowledge your price concerns. Remember what Malcolm said: It's the year of the ballot or the bullet.

E.L.M. said...

Another note: it's not Balazo's fault, but because of its location, I have found blood tracks on the bathroom walls from junkies shooting up.

Anthony said...

i did look in the bathroom; the door was open. looked ok. again, the place was nearly empty, and it's pretty clear why.

cabbage is a wonderful thing, and it also happens to be cheap. this joint's a rip.