7/10/07

Fish, Your Wish

Surfed over to a great piece on sushi today, and it's the proverbial food for thought.

Note how the people interviewed describe the cold-storage supply chain and how tuna belly is basically a luxury item -- you know, like gasoline.

Aquaculture could stave off the inevitable fin di la frutta di mare, letting the ocean's stocks recover, but I know I'm not alone in wondering whether wild salmon and snapper and whatnot are going to be gone in a generation or two. So what to do?

Maybe put our morals where our mouths are and save sushi for a special occasion once or twice a year. The marketplace has got to get the message somehow.

1 comment:

E.L.M. said...

I'm already on my way. My sushi consumption has dropped because Emily can't eat it while pregnant, and when we go to Hotei or other Japanese, I find myself struggling to order sushi, or at least thinking twice about ordering the endangered species.

I think your suggestion -- once or twice a year as a special occasion -- is a good one.