I've waited a couple weeks to write this one up, which should tell you something right there.
Uh-oh.
I liked certain things. Ingredients were crisp, fresh, light. But two problems overwhelmed the smaller positives. First, the terrible service. Our waiter did the egregious head-turn a couple times when we signalled for his attention. Trust me, I was a waiter. I know the move. The joint was busy, but not that busy. We had to ask for several things -- water, an extra fork, this or that condiment -- more than once before they arrived.
The second neg was the cost, not justified by the quality, especially in a town with plenty of decent options for cheap Viet. I don't remember offhand the prices, but they were at least the level of Le Soleil without the creativity of that menu, the attention of the staff, or the loving care put into Le Soleil's recent makeover.
Here's where price and service converged to ill effect: It being crab season, and there being five of us, we wanted to rip one apart. "Is one enough?" we asked the waiter? "Mmm, I think at least two," he said. "Two for five people." OK, we said, and started to debate which two flavors (garlic, black bean, salt and pepper, tamarind, etc). Offhand I asked, "By the way, how much per crab?"
The waiter shifted his weight and looked a bit disappointed. "Thirty-eight dollars."
Right. Two for five people. Mmkay. He botched the upsell and pissed off the customer in the process. With the other dishes we were ordering, one crab was plenty, and he knew it. Sorry, but I won't go back. C'est la vie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment